Thursdays are Pizza night in our house.
There are many different types of gluten free pizza bases ranging from quinoa, cauliflower, almond and coconut flour. All great alternatives but are all still a little dense for me after an evening training session.
So I have invented (I’m sure someone else has produced this) an alternative that incorporates a few of the above and can be used for 3 things….WINNING
Savoury Pancake, Wrap, Pizza Base
Makes 2-4 (depending on thickness and size of pan) Time 10 minutes
- 5 eggs (separated, egg whites whisked to fluffy)
- Herbs of choice (love oregano, basil , chilli and thyme for pizza)
- **1 heaped Tbsp Coconut flour (depending on egg consistency you may need to add a little extra)
- pinch Himalayan salt
- Whisk egg whites until fluffy, add beaten yolks and combine.
- Add Flour.
**You’re looking for a batter consistency, if you’re eggs are big or small you’ll need more or less but remember that coconut flour is thirsty so let the mixture sit before adding more of anything
- Add herbs and salt and combine.
- Now the cool bit….
- Cut a sheet of parchment paper to the size of the saucepan you’ll use (You’ll need two of these cutouts- Make sure they cover the sides not just the bottom, you want to be able to pick the paper up)
- Use a little of coconut oil and rub on the under side of one piece. Place in the heated saucepan.
- Pour batter to cover base of saucepan. Thickness is entirely up to you. Thin for a wrap, thicker for pancake and pizza.
- The base will start cooking pretty quickly. Like a pancake you’ll get those little bubbles and you’ll see that it’s cooking through.
- Lift the paper and check the base, when it’s a golden brown and the top is setting its time to finish this baby off.
- Remove the base and place the second parchment piece in the saucepan, flip the base into the pan.
- The browning of this side will take only a few minutes, keep close watch.
- Remove from the pan, leave to cool.
- Top as you would a pizza, cook in oven for 5 minutes under grill
- Add your favourite wrap ingredients and roll
- Top with come cashew cheese, kefir cheese, chives and bacon and nom nom on a savoury pancake