Cook a Chook, it’s that simple.
Flavour it according to what you like and cook it!
This week as it being all about being organised in a chaotic life Chicken and Lamb have been the savour. The Chicken I did in a smokey paprika seasoning and then shredded the chook, added it to a pan and added cumin, turmeric, tomatoes and broth and made the best Taco Chicken mix so far. A big whole chicken is far more useful and cheaper than buying breasts and thighs and all the other bits. Cook it, carve it, serve it and re-create meal after meal. It’s amazing how far a chook can stretch and the broth….well of course there is always a pot of bone broth in this house cooking.
pre-heat oven to 190c, cook chicken 30 mins for every 500g of chicken (internal temp of 75-80)
1-2kg Whole Pastured Raised Chicken
1 tsp salt
1 tsp smokey paprika
1 lemon cut in half
1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
1. Prepare Chicken in Roasting Pan
2. Place Lemon in the Chickens cavity along with 1/2 Tbsp of hard coconut oil
3. Rub remaining coconut oil all over the chicken
4. Mix Paprika and salt together and coat over the entire chicken
5. Place in oven on middle rack (according to weight of chicken cook as above)
6. Half way through, baste the chicken with the pan juices that have been created from cooking
7. To check the chicken use a meat thermometer. Also pierce the chicken at the thickest point and note the colour of the juices that comes out. Clear is cooked, pink is not.
8. Take out of oven and wrap in foil and leave for 10 minutes to rest
If you are having traditional roast chicken then carve and serve with vegetables.
Alternatively carve the chicken completely from top to bottom. Pop bones and carcass in the slow cooker, cover with water and cook on low as per bone broth recipe.
With the chicken create meals and flavours to your liking….it’s that simple.
1. Add the chicken back to roasting pan
2. Add 4 chopped tomatoes
3. add 1 Tbsp Ground Cumin and 1 tsp turmeric
4. Pour over 300ml Bone Broth
5. Pop back in oven at 150c and cook for a further 30 minutes until liquid reduces.