I have been super busy on a new project that I can’t wait to share with the world. Things are getting exciting here!!!
But even more exciting was my milk kefir grains. I ferment my grains in coconut milk/cream/meat every other day and totally forgot about them needing the sugar in lactose so I thought they had died. Thanks to a kefir expert or two I revived my babies and now they are producing both cows and coconut kefir.
Milk kefir is a bit of controversy. Some say the lactose is fully fermented out others say that it’s not. Me, I’m on the fence. I ferment my cows milk longer to try and ferment as much lactose out and I only have a small try and give the rest to the family as their probiotic through making smoothies, ‘sour cream’, tzatiki or as I did here for this recipe make some amazing desserts. My gut has been ok and by small amount I mean one serve once a week.
My next test is to make coconut cream kefir cheesecakes so stay tuned for an update.
Lemon Kefir Cheesecakes
Gluten free, low FODMAP, dairy free (debatable), egg free, sugar free
PREPARATION TIME TOTAL TIME 1-2 days in total
1 litre Milk Kefir (on 2nd ferment strain through a cheese cloth over a bowl for 24 hours, keeping the solids and using liquid whey for other uses)
2 lemons juiced
rind of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp Coconut Oil melted
1 Cup of mixed nuts blitzed
1-2 Tbsp Maple Syrup (obviously I’m not a sweet tooth)
- As said above, strain grains through a cheese cloth or nut bag to separate the whey and kefir. I hung my nut milk bag off a spoon over a jug and let it drip overnight
- Add juice and rind of lemons to kefir cheese and mix. Depending on taste buds add more lemon.
- To sweeten you could also add 1 tbsp of maple syrup or rice malt syrup. Leave overnight in fridge if you can as flavours will be so so so amazing after another day.
- Melt Coconut Oil, blitz nuts and seeds in food processor until fine. Mix together with maple syrup or rice malt syrup. Taste and add more sweetness to nut mix if desired.
- In a muffin tray or any pie tin/tray line with baking paper and press the nut mix in to form a base. Pop in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Spoon Lemon Kefir Cheese on top of base and smooth out or peak up (be creative). Either serve now or pop into freezer to semi set for 30 minutes.
This is a great way to get the probiotic’s into the family and friends.
You could also use your own yoghurt if you don’t have kefir.