I am forever Googling and Pinterest searching for ‘Paleo’ pizza dough but I haven’t found one that works for me and the family that’s easy, quick and not packed with high starch foods. A while a go I made a base that was my cracker recipe and it was great, it’s my personal favourite but in volume it’s a lot of seed and flax for pizza really. Today was one of those days where I was determined to find a happy medium for pizza especially when I promised my princess it was pizza night.
This base is grain free, nut free, dairy free and was actually really light in texture (the key to coconut flour, use little and don’t over work it and fluff the eggs- how is that easy……eggs and blenders are a match made in heaven that is all).
Pumpkin seeds/pepitas are a great little green seed. They are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids and also a source of calcium, iron and some B-complex vitamins and protein. Great for all the family. Soaking and dehydrating also removes the phytic acid which the digestive system cannot break down. But like all nuts and seeds all in moderation and too much of good thing can do more harm than good.
serves 2 (multiply as required)
preheat oven to 190c
PREPARATION TIME COOKING TIME 5 MINUTES 15 MINUTES
2 small handfuls of pumpkin seeds (or use a mix of pumpkin, sunflower and flax)
1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
2 Tbsp Coconut Flour
1/4 tsp Himalayan or sea salt
1 tsp za’tar (or dry herb of choice)
- In a blender, pulse egg until fluffy (remove)
- add chopped zucchini and pumpkin seeds and pulse until ground
- add egg, coconut oil herbs and salt
- add coconut flour one tbsp at time and pulse lightly then leave for a few minutes to absorb.
- Pour onto baking sheet and spread to desired thickness
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly brown
- Flip and bake for a further 5-10 minutes
- Take out, top favourite toppings and bake until heated through