Keeping daycare lunches interesting with eggs and bacon. My cherub loves these little cups of yum and they are simple enough for kids to make too. Getting kids involved in cooking means that they are learning amazing and fun skills but also they know what is in their food and are more likely to eat them because they made them.
The idea of these is to have the bacon as the ‘crust’ in replacing the traditional pastry you would normally have. They are a great freezer option and great made ahead of time for picnics and parties.
Give them a go this week.
Bacon & Egg Cups
PREPARATION TIME COOKING TIME 10 minutes 30 minutes
makes 12-16 cups, gluten free, dairy free, low FODMAP, kids lunches
12 rashes of good free range bacon
3 sausages (optional)
Dried Italian herbs (basil, parsley, thyme, oregano)
salt and pepper to season
- Line muffin trays with baking paper squares
- Add 1/2 -1 rash bacon per muffin mould depending on size you may need to cut to fill the mould.
- Beat eggs until fluffy, add salt and pepper and herbs
- Slice sausage into inch pieces (you can pre cook sausage)
- Alternatively use left over meat from previous meal- roast chicken, lamb, beef, fish, prawns
- Place sausage in each mould and pour in egg to almost the top
- Pop into preheated oven at 200 and cook until egg is set (30 mins max)
Add avocado on top and devour!
Leave to cool before refrigerating.