How many times do you leave the house in someone else’s hands and just ‘assume’ it’ll all be handled and those few hours your out won’t matter??? THEN you get home and the roast is still on the bench and there is a hungry little human greeting you ‘mummy I’m hungry’
GAH…..panic stations!!! I had meat thawing everywhere today, fillet on the bench, chuck mince in the sink, and lamb just hanging out for the day near the stove. Come 4.30pm there was only one thing I could do, grab the mince that was the closest to thawed and try to work something out. Filled the sink with cold water, immersed the meat and quickened the process while I gawked at the fridge and then at my daughter who looked like she was going to die of hunger, or hanger and that’s not cool in my house.
I had greens coming out my behind so asian inspired it was. I grabbed whatever fresh, dried and ground herbs and spices and set out to create something out of nothing…….
Panic no more, a chilli chow mein (the totally healthy non nasty packet salt version) is here to save the day.
Chilli Beef Chow Meingrainfree, dairyfree, sugarfree, lowfodmap
PREPARATION TIME TOTAL TIME 10 MINUTES 20 - 40 MINUTES
- 500g pasture raised chuck beef steak minced or good quality minced beef
- 1tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 Carrot grated
- 1/4 Cauliflower riced
- 1/2 Chinese cabbage
- 1 Bok Choy
- 4 whole Silverbeet stalks
- 1 Zucchini Spiralized
- 1 big hot Red chilli (leave out or reduce amount for kids)
- 1 tbsp Fish sauce
- 1 tbsp Coconut aminos/ tamari
- 1 and a bit heaped tbsp Tahini
- 400ml broth (homemade preferably)
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- Brown meat ginger turmeric cumin
- Whilst that’s going whip out food processor, grate carrot, empty, pulse cauliflower to ‘rice’
- Add carrot and cauliflower, leave for a few minutes while you shred cabbage and silverbeet
- Add cabbage and Silverbeet.
- Mix sauce and add with cold broth
- Pour over pan
- Simmer for 5-10 and slice Bok Choy
- Add Bok Choy
- Turn off, cover and leave until needed. The long the better
- Just before serving add zoodles and heat through.
Top with extra chilli, some tangy kraut and watercress.
Not in to Beef? Swap beef for chicken, pork, prawns, fish, tempeh or go vegetarian and serve with a fried egg